About the San Juan Water Conservancy District
The San Juan Water Conservancy District (SJWCD or District) was formed after a vote of the electors in 1987. The District is a quasi-municipal corporation of the State of Colorado organized under C.R.S. §37-45-101 et seq. It is the charge of the SJWCD to provide water conservation, water resources planning, stream improvement, water rights protection, and development services within its service area, which approximates Archuleta County (CO). Over 95% of the population of Archuleta County resides within the jurisdictional boundaries of the District.
The SJWCD has the statutory authority to appropriate water rights, to have and exercise the power of eminent domain and dominant eminent domain, to sponsor water resources projects, to construct water development projects, to develop and operate augmentation plans, and to appropriate recreational in-channel diversion water rights, among other powers. The primary function of the District is to address future water supply needs.
The SJWCD amended its Bylaws, which reduced the authorized number of seats on the board from ten (10) to (7). All amendments to organizational documents must be approved by the district court. So too, the board of directors. If you are interested in a position on the SJWCD board of directors, and you reside within the District service area, please submit a letter of interest. The board will review the request and vote to either recommend that person to the District Court or not. If a recommendation is made, legal counsel for the District prepares and submits documentation to the District Court, which then makes a ruling to approve the appointment to the board or not.
Our Board of Directors
The San Juan Water Conservancy District (SJWCD or District) is governed by a 7-10 member Board of Directors who serve four-year terms. The Board adopts an annual budget based upon a mill levy. The present Board, their positions, and current terms of office are as follows:
- RODNEY PROFFITT, PRESIDENT/CHAIRMAN, email@example.com, 970-903-9314: Term expires 01/06/17
- RAYMOND FINNEY, TREASURER, firstname.lastname@example.org, 970-946-7491: Term expires 03/21/20
- JOHN W. PORCO, email@example.com, 970-264-2171: Term expires 03/21/20
- ALLAN PFISTER, SECRETARY, firstname.lastname@example.org, 970-985-5764: Term expires 11/29/19
- SUSAN NOSSAMAN, email@example.com, 970-946-0398. Term expires 03/21/18
- DOUG SECRIST, firstname.lastname@example.org, 970-471-2685. Term expires 03/21/20
Our Mission Statement
The mission of the San Juan Water Conservancy District is to conserve, develop, utilize, and plan storage for current and future water needs, and that the water resources of the San Juan River and its tributaries, and the property and residents within the District will be benefited by the activities of the District.
- View Our ByLaws (PDF)
- Note: The request we made to the court to adjust the board membership numbers was approved. View Court Document